Sunday, November 7, 2010

Rise and shout, the Cougars are out!


I love BYU! It's my alma mater. I learned so much there, in the classroom and out. I had so much fun with friends there. I met the love of my life there. I am utterly grateful for the time I spent at BYU. I would love for my kids to have similar experiences there as young adults. And so, I've started early to instill a love of BYU in their young hearts.

Whenever we go to Utah we spend a day at BYU: eating ice cream at the Creamery, bowling in the Games Center, getting a souvenir from the BYU Bookstore, hunting animals in the Bean Museum, listening to the carillon bells, and walking around campus. I always point out where I lived as a freshman, including the freezing cold concrete outside that their daddy and I sat on late at night, talking and sipping hot chocolate. I love that place and want them to love it too. How can they not when it includes BYU ice cream and chocolate milk??

I came across these ferocious cougars in the Bookstore. I stayed far away from the second one...it was particularly wild. They both calmed down, however, after I took them to the candy counter and let them choose some candy.



On this trip we went somewhere new: we meandered through the HFAC and briefly enjoyed some exhibits in the Museum of Art. The memories came swarming back to me as I walked through those buildings. (The MOA got me all lovey dovey and missing Aaron because we used to go on dates there all the time.) Those buildings smell exactly the same as they did 10 years ago!


I wanted our day at BYU to be perfect, but it was much more like the above picture. :)


I told the kids about the amazing library. They thought it was so cool that they were walking on the sidewalk, and there were people under them studying in the library! Carter was enthralled by the sidewalk sweeper pictured above. He thought it was so dang cool!! I told him that when he grows up and comes to BYU, he can get a job on the maintenance crew and drive one of those sidewalk sweepers. He was in heaven. He looks forward to that day!

Like I said, I'm instilling the love of BYU young. Isn't it great?

4 comments:

Kristy's Garden said...

What beautiful pictures! What beautiful children....the cutest Cougars I've ever seen. So do you remember several summers when you were young and we stayed in the BYU dorms while visiting Grandpa and Grandma and all the fun we had bowling, seeing movies and eating ice cream on campus? You can never start too late. We will be retired and living in the heart of Cougar land by the time your little Cougars are there... yup, that is the plan!

jor-kel said...

I agree Jill. It is never too early. Kelly and I feel partial to BYU-Idaho but they are both awesome. We hope that the chosen fields of study our kids choose will be available at BYU or BYU-Idaho. We hope they will want to attend one of them after many future family trips like you do with your family.

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

Hooray for BYU! You can never start too early! What's that scripture--"teach a child the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it"--something like that. :)

Your little Hazel is to die for. She is gorgeous. And all of your kids have the most amazing eyes!