Monday, March 23, 2009

Lunch time frustrations

As a server of lunch to a pair of little folks, I often find myself frustrated trying to prepare a lunch that is acceptable to my eaters. They are very selective little eaters. (They inherited this wonderful trait from their dad who, as a little boy, wiped the sauce off his spaghetti noodles one-by-one. Fortunately he has very nearly outgrown this trait.)

Just about the only thing my little eaters will eat for lunch these days is a quesadilla. For a bit of variety today, I swung for peanut butter sandwiches. The oldest eater would not take one. The younger eater, I know from experience, would pull the sandwich apart and proably take a couple of bites. So after much "negotiation," I ate a peanut butter and jam sandwich, the older eater ate a buttered slice of bread, and the younger eater ate a butter and jam sandwich. Aagh! Lunch time drives me nuts! In addition to our delectable entree, we had carrots (I was the only taker on those ones), oranges (the older eater wouldn't touch those but the younger one inhaled them), and the older eater had canned pears. We all ate cheese puffs at the end. So exciting is my lunch time venture.

12 comments:

Erin said...

What an exciting adventure! I know exactly how difficult it is to get them to eat not only healthy food, but sometimes just to get them to eat period!

DillChips said...

It is so nice to know that my Lily is not the only picky eating Lily. I try to sneak things like very fine not hardly there stuff into Lily's food some times works some times doesn't. But I know that no matter what my Lily will eat something that is like cake so sometimes I make different kinds of muffins that still taste a little sweet but have whole grain and things like carrots or zucchini that I don't tell Lily about. I just call it cake every time. For store bought the fiber one apple muffins are also num.

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

I would be completely happy in lunch wasn't even a meal! I have two picky eaters also, and I also am not much of lunch girl. If only we could survive on two meals...

Aaron said...

What do you mean I've "very nearly" outgrown it? I surely don't wipe the sauce off of my noodles anymore. There's only a few things I don't care for these days. You do a great job providing a healthy variety for the whole family!

Jason said...

well, im glad you could all come to a consensis on one thing. cheese puffs! =)

Melinda Ford said...

LOL Jason. This sounds like every meal at our house these days. Even our very oldest eater (not the children) has a hard time at some meals and only eats a little, but then snacks on goodies while the children are crying because they can't have what daddy's eating cuz they haven't finished their meals. Whoops, did I give names? Anything with syrup on it seems to be the only thing Ryan will eat. Lately, I've taken to telling them if they don't eat it for lunch, they have it for dinner. :) Yes, I know, I'm mean. And then we save it for them to eat for dinner, or snack, or whatever. Wait, I take it back. J.J. will eat what we give him, but only after he whines about it for at least five minutes. We have to threaten him with no snacks, then he eats. :P

Erin said...

Cookies for lunch works every time. ;) Surprisingly, no one complains and they always want more.

Jason said...

Im sorry Melinda. I used to eat desert when my dinner was done. but now i wait till the whole family is done eating to eat my desert. or ells the little one in my family will want desert and not eat dinner.

Alisha said...

It is so good to hear that other people have trouble with lunch too. Come on...do I really have to make 3 different entrees for everyone? :)

Desta said...

Zoe often asks for "plain bread" and eats just that - a slice of bread. Sometimes I can get her to eat some cheese as well. I just wonder what goes on in her little head.

ATT Hickson said...

I totally understand the picky-eater syndrome! I don't know how to get Tanner to try new foods. It's tricky with him though, he vomits when something hits his mouth that he doesn't agree with.

Rachael said...

yes, yes, yes!! i'm right there with you. I try to give reasonable choices like you to minimize the "short order cook" syndrome. But seriously! There isn't ANYTHING everyone will eat. and that's the whole point of a meal, isn't it?!! and AGAIN today Grace didn't eat more than 5-6 baby bites. Too bad, so sad - hopefully she eats dinner. Mom was DONE with lunchtime! :)