Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Kindergarten complete!

Sending Lily to kindergarten was challenging for me. I missed her terribly when she started all-day kindergarten. We settled into a routine through the school year. While I missed her, I'm so pleased with the education she received this year. Now the school year has ended and we're nearly a month into summer and having a great time! We had a fabulous trip to visit family in Utah, which I'll post about in coming days. First things first!


She received an award for knowing all 70 phonograms in the Spalding curriculum. I loved the uniforms the kids wore this year. It made dressing for school in the morning easy, provided an atmosphere of modest dress, and decreased perceived social classes based on who has the coolest clothes.


The kindergarten teachers at Lily's school are amazing! Lily learned about all the presidents of the United States and the founding of our nation. The kindergarten put on a fun and stirring patriotic performance with song, dance, and word. Lily was Thomas Jefferson on Mount Rushmore.


"I'm a Yankee doodle dandy, a Yankee doodle do or die. A real live nephew of my Uncle Sam, born on the Fourth of July!" Those little kids were so cute dancing up on stage. I loved it!


Ms. Carol and Lily were good pals this year. I'm incredibly thankful for her positive influence in Lily's life. Now my Lily has lost her first two teeth, can read, and is an official first-grader. Wow!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Way to go Lily! I know how you feel Jill, I loved summers with my kids and missed them terribly when they went to school. She's such a cutie pie!

Kristy's Garden said...

I love Lily's school with it's great emphasis on patriotic history and their red, white and blue uniforms. Hurray for our smart Lily! I loved summer break when all you kids were home for the summer.... we did have a lot of fun together and I miss those days... enjoy your times with the kids because they grow up all too quickly and become mommies and daddies to their own little darling bunch sooner than you can imagine!

Trevlyn said...

Aw, I miss you guys! Such a great post! Both programs on the last day just brought me to tears! Glad we got to share such a great year with you!