Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Drive Up

The kids and I drove up to Utah together for our first big trip of the summer. Some say the drive from Phoenix to Provo can be done in 10 1/2 hours...but I've never braved it with the kids, especially without Aaron.

We usually break the trip into two days but this time we split it into three, having playtime with cousins both nights. We drove the two hours up to Flag and stayed with Neal and Chris the first night. Fortunately, Topher, Natalie, and Joey and their families were there...so it was a super fun par-tay! I didn't get any pictures but we had a lot of fun!

The next morning we drove from Flag to St. George. It took us 6 hours, with two bathroom/nursing stops. Our first stop was at Lee's Ferry. We walked out on a bridge across the Colorado River and even saw a native California Condor perched under the bridge. Arizona is beautiful.


The kids on the bridge.


We stopped for a minute by these gargantuan rocks. I asked the kids to stand by them for a picture but they refused because they were afraid the rocks would roll and crush them.


We visited the St. George temple grounds. It was peaceful and lovely there. These are my two willing models. They were happy to sit still for me to photograph them.




Carter, however, was on the go. He only held still long enough to look at a motorcycle and a fire hydrant.


Carter thinks these things are so cool. He likes to count them when we're driving. He notes the different colors and shapes of hydrants. He doesn't yet know why dogs like them. I'll keep that one a secret for as long as I can, otherwise, he might want to try it too.

Carter is holding a pass-along card. They are a friendly way of sharing our faith with others. I visited with a sister missionary who is serving in the visitors' center with her husband. I noticed a French flag pinned on her lapel and introduced myself to her in French. It was so much fun to chat en francais! I was utterly shocked to learn that in May 11,000 francophones visited the St. George temple grounds! Usually around 4,000 pass through per month. I couldn't believe it!

We had a grand old time playing with Sherrie and Gayle and their families. They are two of the funnest families on the whole planet! I am so glad we belong to each other. My kids had a great time playing with all our cousins. It was so much fun. In that first leg of the trip, Hazel met 16 new cousins!

The kids and I got in the car to make the last leg of our trip up to Provo...and the van wouldn't start. Turned out I needed a new battery. So sweet Sherrie tagged along with me (held my hand, really) while I got a new battery. Thanks, Sherrie!! We got on the road a few hours later than hoped, but it turned out a-okay. I was just glad the battery died in St. George rather than in the middle of the desert. We were blessed. The last leg took 4 hours. When we reached Provo, the magnet was pulling us to Jordan and Kelly's house to meet our brand new cousin, baby Ian.



He is sweet and sleepy, just like a newborn should be. I could see lots of Kelly in him at the beginning of the trip. By the end of our two weeks there, I was deciphering some more of his daddy in him. He's a precious boy. We love him!

3 comments:

Kristy's Garden said...

We are all so happy that you made the trip safe and sound. I love ALL your pictures! We had a wonderful and heavenly visit with your family.

jor-kel said...

Can I teach Carter about fire hydrants?

Alisha said...

OH MY GOODNESS, your kids are seriously A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E. You are a brave women. I would never drive to Utah without my hubby!