Monday, November 30, 2009


"In the year of 1620 on a cold December day
102 pilgrims sailed into Plymouth Bay..."

Those are the first two lines of Lily's recitation for November. I love her school. She is learning about the history of our nation in ways that are fun and exciting. She has learned about the creation of our nation and the pilgrims who came here for religious freedom and fought with God's power to make this a nation of liberty. I love that the school is patriotic. Every morning they say the Pledge of Allegiance, then have a moment of silence for individual prayer, and then sing the Star-spangled Banner. I was at the school this morning for an assembly and felt a calm, yet powerful feeling as we observed those moments of patriotism and respect for God.


Lily receiving a "coup," an honor, from her teacher during their native american unit. Parents were invited to attend their Thanksgiving event in which the kindergarteners dressed as native americans and the first and second graders dressed as pilgrims. They taught us a little about the first Thanksgiving and then the children sampled a few Thanksgiving foods. I am so impressed with what Lily has been learning and making at school: the tunic and headdress shown above, wampam belts, native american musical instruments, a diorama, pottery and basket weaving, and the pilgrim costume in the top picture. I can't say enough good about her school.

5 comments:

Romney Family said...

it is so great to love the school your kids go to. I love the picture of you and the kids on the top!! that is so cute!!!

Jenny said...

ooOH!! Lily is sooo darling! I feel so proud of her! I love the things you wrote, and I love how wonderful Lil's school is, it sounds incredible!

Kristy's Garden said...

Lily does look like an Indian Princess! I am so happy you enrolled her in such a great school.... I love the Pledge of Allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner and only at a private charter school will they allow time for prayer..... awesome! I miss being there to see her school performances. Love you and miss you all!

Andrea said...

That really does sound like an amazing school! Lily is so grown up and cute!

apewinterton said...

Wow! I am so impressed with your school. I am so happy that you found such a great place. What a blessing!