Monday, August 10, 2009

Lily's first day of kindergarten


Lily is a kindergartener! Getting ready this morning went smoothly. She got dressed in the outfit she had chosen and even made her own lunch. We visited her teacher before school started so she could be familiar with the school on her first day. Our visit had the desired effect. This morning she walked right in and sat down at her desk. She felt ownership to her classroom, desk, and teacher. She felt right at home.

I am so excited for her! I loved kindergarten and all my years of school. I'm excited for Lily to love learning. I know she will. I thought it would be a hard morning for me but it wasn't. I think I got most of my crying out in the previous weeks and months. This has been a big step for me as a mom. I have taken very seriously my responsibility to teach, nurture, and care for my children, rather than abdicate it to someone else. It's been difficult for me to realize that she will be leaving our safe little home and my direct care, and going out into a world that offers a lot of negative influences in addition to the good. I am going to miss my little girl so much! But I also know this is the right step in her development.




She knows a lot of the kids who are going to her school.


When Lily went in to meet her teacher she got to choose her desk. She loved that. Here are her fun supplies!


Post Sript: Lily had a great day at school. She said she loved it! It made me feel so good to see her run to me with a huge smile on her face. Her favorite part of the day was lunch because it was so tasty (Laughing Cow cheese on Ritz and an applesauce cup). She liked making a book all about her. She's a little artist. She didn't like the sandy playground at recess, hence the wadded up socks in her hand. Congratulations to my Lily!!


19 comments:

Kristy's Garden said...

Oh what a fun and happy day! It's hard to believe our little Lily is so grown up and off to school. She looks soooo much like her Mommy when she was that age. Lucky girls! Even though you will miss Lily during the day, it will be an opportunity to have some very special and fun times with Carter until the new little one arrives in January.

Leslie said...

She looks like a little Nancy Drew! I love it. I can't believe that's the same little Lily I read stories to in the rocking chair when you guys rented that house in Orem. She's so grown up.

Adam's Traditional Academy? Is that a private school?

Jason said...

Its a charter school with uniforms. I looked it up on line. =)

Jason said...

ok, maybe they dont have uniforms. Do they?

Jilly Bean said...

Yes, it is a charter school and they do wear uniforms.

LiLy (Lily typed her name.)

jor-kel said...

Lily looks soooo grown up! This time in life must be so bitter-sweet. Congrats and good luck :) Also, in the video, when she is tapping her lip trying to think of the name, she looks so much like J.J.!

Deneal said...

I'm so nervous about sending Ashton off to kindergarten in a few weeks, but it looks like things went really well for you guys. I like the idea of visiting the teacher/classroom before the first day, we'll have to try and do that. Oh, and tell Lily she did a great job picking out her first day outfit, she's adorable!

Steve and Hailey said...

School already? I LOVE that first picture!!! Perfect for the fridge or a frame. Man, I always get sad this time of year that I'm not getting a classroom ready...last year I was. I guess I'll be teaching Jack and Griff! :)

RSP said...

I love the first picture, she looks so excited! And you are right, that skirt is darling:)

Romney Family said...

What a great day!!! Lily looks so cute and grown up!!

Proudfit Family said...

Wes goes there too!! I saw Barb Johnson on the first day of school so I am sure I will see you there soon too. I'll have to tell Wes Lily goes there and they can play during recess.

Melinda Ford said...

Hooray Lily!!! Good job on your first day of school! I bet you're so good and help your teacher by listening and following the rules! We love you! :) Glad you had so much fun!!!

Nathan and Annie Miller said...

What a big step in all your lives! It looks like she loved her first day, and I'm sure she's going to be a great little student.

ATT Hickson said...

I'm so glad that her first day went well. Letting Tanner go into nursery without me is hard enough on me - I can't imagine kindergarden! But I'm sure you have prepared her well. So cute!

Dusty said...

What a sweet post and a sweet little girl. I can't believe she is in Kindergarten! Crazy how the time flies. I got your email a while back and sent you one back but never found a response. Maybe you never got it? Anyway, it was fun hearing from you. Hope all is well.

Kristine said...

Oh what fun. She looks so cute and grown up. Savannah is sad she is not in the same school as Lily. It looks like she had a fun and exciting day. Savannah can't wait for her first day too. I'm sure Lily will have lots of advice/tips for her on Sunday.

Alisha said...

WOW! I can't even imagine sending my kiddos to kindergarten. What a BIG STEP! It sounds like she loved it and had a blast. YAH for you guys! Can't wait to hear more kindergarten stories!

Cassidy Lundgren said...

Yay Lily! Sounds like she's having fun!

Cassidy Lundgren said...

Yay Lily! Sounds like she's having fun!